NICKNAME – Armaginak/Los Armeros (The Gunners), Azulgranas (The Blue and Carmines)
FOUNDED – 1940
LOCATED IN – Eibar, Basque Country
STADIUM – Estadio Municipal de Ipurua
CAPACITY – 8,050
PROMOTED – 2014
BEST LA LIGA FINISH – 9th (2017/2018)
BEST COPA DEL REY RUN – QF (2016/2017)
RECORD GOALSCORER – Mikel Arruabarrena (44)
2019/2020 FINISH – 14th
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT SD EIBAR
1. They used to buy Barcelona shirts, remove the crest and sew on their own, which is why they share the same colours.
2. They have a strong connection with Scotland. Their main supporter group is named “Eskozia La Brava” (Scotland the Brave).
3. After a short spell with Valencia B, Spain legend David Silva began his career here in 2004/2005.
4. They were forced by La Liga to expand the tiny Ipurua stadium against their own wishes. Eibar matches can still be easily viewed from the balconies of adjacent apartments.
5. La Liga also forced them to raise 2 million Euros, despite being the only club in the top flight without debt. Eibar limited the amount individual shareholders could buy to avoid being bought by an irresponsible investor.
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT EIBAR
1. With around 27,000 residents, the whole city could fit in about a quarter of the Camp Nou.
2. It lies in a narrow valley, with the surrounding hills clearly visible from the Ipurua stadium.
3. Eibar has a long history of arms manufacture dating back to the 16th century, hence SD Eibar’s nickname of “The Gunners”, which they share with Arsenal.
4. Martin Ignacio de Loyola, the first person to circumnavigate the globe in both directions, was born here.
5. Sculptor Placido and painter Ignacio Zuloaga also hail from the city, as does cinematographer Javier Aguirresarobe, who has worked with Woody Allen and Pedro Almodovar.
OTHER SPANISH CLUBS
Alaves, Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Cadiz, Celta Vigo, Eibar, Elche, Espanyol, Getafe, Granada, Huesca, Leganes, Levante, Mallorca, Osasuna, Real Betis, Real Madrid, Real Sociedad, Real Valladolid, Sevilla, Valencia, Villarreal