NICKNAME – Els Frangiverds (The Green Stripes), Els Ilicitans (The People from Elche)
FOUNDED – 1923
LOCATED IN – Elche, Community of Valencia
STADIUM – Estadio Manuel Martinez Valero
CAPACITY – 33,732
PROMOTED – 2020
BEST LA LIGA FINISH – 5th (1963/1964)
BEST COPA DEL REY RUN – Runners Up (1968/1969)
RECORD GOALSCORER – Nino (133)
2019/2020 FINISH – Promoted (6th)
FIVE FACTS ABOUT ELCHE CF
1. The iconic green stripe on their uniform was added to the kit after their Czech coach was captivated by the line of green that palm trees formed between houses in the city.
2. When Elche achieved automatic promotion to the top flight in 1983/1984, they did so from fifth because Real Madrid and Bilbao’s B teams finished first and second.
3. The club achieved a record points tally for the second tier in 2012/2013 and set many other landmarks in the process.
4. It became the only club to be relegated from La Liga due to unpaid debts in 2014/2015.
5. Elche contests the Alicante derby with Hercules and the South-East derby with Real Murcia.
FIVE FACTS ABOUT ELCHE
1. The enormous palm grove that inspired the green stripe on Elche’s shirt, “El Palmeral”, is a World Heritage site. It consists of over 200,000 trees.
2. Elche’s economy is largely based on footwear, with over 1,000 shoe factories located in the city.
3. The city hosts a popular “Medieval Festival” between October and November each year.
4. There is next to no space between Elche and its neighbouring city, Alicante.
5. It’s most famous building, the Basilica de Santa Maria, was constructed on top of a mosque.
OTHER SPANISH CLUBS
Alaves, Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Cadiz, Celta Vigo, Eibar, Elche, Espanyol, Getafe, Granada, Huesca, Leganes, Levante, Mallorca, Osasuna, Real Betis, Real Madrid, Real Sociedad, Real Valladolid, Sevilla, Valencia, Villarreal