NICKNAME – Los Babazorros (The Fava Bean Sacks/Eaters), El Glorioso (The Glorious Ones)
FOUNDED – 1921
LOCATED IN – Vitoria-Gasteiz, Basque Country
STADIUM – Mendizorrotza
CAPACITY – 19,840
PROMOTED – 2016
BEST LA LIGA FINISH – 6th (1999/2000)
BEST COPA DEL REY RUN – Runners Up (2016/2017)
BEST UC/EL FINISH – Runners Up (2000/2001)
RECORD GOALSCORER – Manuel Serrano (67)
2019/2020 FINISH – 16th
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT DEPORTIVO ALAVES
1. Alaves was founded by university students and initially went by the name of “Sport Friends Club”.
2. In the 1929/30 season, they became the first ever side to achieve promotion to the top flight.
3. They are nicknamed “Babazorros” as many fava (“baba”) beans used to be produced in the area. People from Vitoria-Gasteiz share this moniker.
4. They defeated Inter over two legs on the way to the 2001 UEFA Cup final, which they lost 5-4 to Liverpool through an extra time golden goal.
5. Alaves are currently affiliated with clubs as far afield as Croatia , Finland and Japan.
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT VITORIA-GASTEIZ
1. It is the official capital of the Basque Country.
2. The 1813 Battle of Vitoria was instrumental in ending the Peninsular War and liberating Spain from French rule. Beethoven even wrote a piece commemorating it.
3. The “Virgen Blanca” (White Virgin) festivities are the biggest of the year and involve flour throwing.
4. The well-preserved Alde Zaharra (Old Quarter) includes both the cathedral and a museum dedicated to playing cards, which the city is famous for having produced.
5. Vitoria was named Europe’s Green Capital in 2012.
OTHER SPANISH CLUBS
Alaves, Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Cadiz, Celta Vigo, Eibar, Elche, Espanyol, Getafe, Granada, Huesca, Leganes, Levante, Mallorca, Osasuna, Real Betis, Real Madrid, Real Sociedad, Real Valladolid, Sevilla, Valencia, Villarreal