NICKNAME – Die Schwarzgelben (The Black and Yellows), Der BVB
FOUNDED – 1909
LOCATED IN – Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia
STADIUM – Signal Iduna Park
CAPACITY – 81,365
PROMOTED – 1976
BEST BUNDESLIGA FINISH – Winners (5 times)
BEST DFB POKAL RUN – Winners (4 times)
BEST EC/CL FINISH – Winners (1996/1997)
BEST UC/EL FINISH – Runners Up (Twice)
BEST CWC FINISH – Winners (1965/1966)
RECORD GOALSCORER – Alfred Preissler (174)
2019/2020 FINISH – 2nd
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT BORUSSIA DORTMUND
1. The club was founded in a pub by a Catholic youth group and was named after the local “Borussia” brewery.
2. They contest the two biggest derbies in Germany, the “Revierderby” (against Schalke) and the “Klassiker” (against Bayern).
3. They won their only Champions League title at Bayern’s Olympiastadion against Juventus.
4. They have the highest average attendance of any football club in the world and the largest stadium in Germany.
5. They share their club song of “You’ll Never Walk Alone” with both Liverpool and Celtic.
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT DORTMUND
1. Despite a history of coal and steel, it has been redeveloped to the point that half the city now consists of green areas.
2. Its Christmas market attracts over 3 million visitors each year, with a 45m high tree the centrepiece.
3. It is a centre for electronic dance music and techno.
4. Dortmund “Salt Cakes” are a popular local snack.
5. The German Football Museum is right next to the train station.
OTHER GERMAN TEAMS
Arminia Bielefeld, Augsburg, Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Borussia MG, Eintracht Frankfurt, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Freiburg, Hertha Berlin, Hoffenheim, Koln, Leipzig, Mainz, Paderborn, Schalke, Stuttgart, Union Berlin, Werder Bremen, Wolfsburg