NICKNAME – Les Licornes (The Unicorns)
FOUNDED – 1901
LOCATED IN – Amiens, Hauts-de-France
STADIUM – Stade de la Licorne
CAPACITY – 12,097
RELEGATED – 2020
BEST LIGUE 1 FINISH – 13th (2017/2018)
BEST COUPE DE FRANCE RUN – Runners Up (2000/2001)
BEST COUPE DE LA LIGUE/D’ETE RUN – QF (2000/2001)
RECORD GOALSCORER – Georges Taisne (107)
2019/2020 FINISH – 19th (Ligue 1)
FIVE FACTS ABOUT AMIENS SC
1. They won their first ever match 14-0.
2. Amiens Athletic Club merged with Amiens Sports in 1961 before adopting its current name in 1989.
3. Built in 1999, the “Stadium of the Unicorn” has an iconic transparent roof.
4. They achieved their first promotion to Ligue 1 in dramatic fashion, with a goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time bumping them up from 6th to 2nd in Ligue 2.
5. Amiens were relegated in controversial circumstances as the 2019/2020 season was cut short due to Covid-19.
FIVE FACTS ABOUT AMIENS
1. Amiens hosts the largest Christmas market in northern France and produces many sweets and pastries.
2. The unicorns on both the club and city’s crest were put in place to symbolise chivalry and loyalty to the king.
3. The 13th century cathedral is on the UNESCO list, and its floating gardens led to its nickname, the “Venice of the North”.
4. In the latter part of his life, famous author Jules Verne lived in Amiens and even served on the city council.
5. Located on the Somme, it was the scene of heavy fighting in World War I, most notably the 1918 Battle of Amiens.
OTHER FRENCH TEAMS
Amiens, Angers, Bordeaux, Brest, Dijon, Lens, Lille, Lorient, Lyon, Marseille, Metz, Monaco, Montpellier, Nantes, Nice, Nimes, Paris Saint-Germain, Reims, Rennes, Saint-Etienne, Strasbourg, Toulouse