NICKNAME – Los Pepineros (The Cucumber Growers), Lega
FOUNDED – 1928
LOCATED IN – Leganes, Community of Madrid
STADIUM – Estadio Municipal de Butarque
CAPACITY – 12,450
RELEGATED – 2020
BEST LA LIGA FINISH – 13th (2018/2019)
BEST COPA DEL REY RUN – SF (2017/2018)
RECORD GOALSCORER – Miguel Angel (65)
2019/2020 FINISH – 18th (Primera Liga)
FIVE FACTS ABOUT CD LEGANES
1. The club is nicknamed the “Cucumber Growers” from when Leganes was mainly agricultural and provided produce for Madrid; the cucumber was the most popular export.
2. The club reached the top flight for the first time in 2016 and enjoyed their most famous triumph in the 2017/2018 Copa del Rey quarter finals over Real Madrid.
3. In 2019/2020, preposterous La Liga rules allowed Barca to poach Leganes’ only striker after the mid-season transfer window had shut, but did not allow them to replace him. Unsurprisingly, they were relegated, but only in the final game after narrowly failing to beat Real Madrid away.
4. They are friends with Greek side Egaleo FC, who play in the same colours; Leganes and Egaleo are twinned cities.
5. They contest the South Madrid derby with Getafe.
FIVE FACTS ABOUT LEGANES
1. The name Leganes is believed to come from “legamo” (slime), due to its historic prevalence in the area.
2. Visitors to the city can enjoy its sculpture musem and the largest shopping centre near the capital, Parquesur.
3. City streets have been named after legendary rock outfits ACDC and Scorpions, with the former inaugurating theirs.
4. Leganes residents may study one of seven languages for a year at a subsidised cost of just 80 Euros.
5. 2008 Tour de France winner Carlos Sastre, who is known for his squeaky clean doping record, is from Leganes.
OTHER SPANISH CLUBS
Alaves, Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Cadiz, Celta Vigo, Eibar, Elche, Espanyol, Getafe, Granada, Huesca, Leganes, Levante, Mallorca, Osasuna, Real Betis, Real Madrid, Real Sociedad, Real Valladolid, Sevilla, Valencia, Villarreal