NICKNAME – Die Werderaner (The River Islanders), Die Grun-Weissen (The Green and Whites)
FOUNDED – 1899
LOCATED IN – Bremen (Free City)
STADIUM – Weserstadion
CAPACITY – 42,100
PROMOTED – 1981
BEST BUNDESLIGA FINISH – Winners (4 times)
BEST DFB POKAL RUN – Winners (6 times)
BEST EC/CL FINISH – Round of 16 (3 times)
BEST UC/EL FINISH – Runners Up (2008/2009)
BEST CWC FINISH – Winners (1991/1992)
RECORD GOALSCORER – Claudio Pizarro (153)
2019/2020 FINISH – 16th
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT SV WERDER BREMEN
1. The club was founded by a group of teenagers who won a football in a tug-of-war contest.
2. Werder means “river peninsula”; the first players started playing on a field next to the River Weser.
3. Their biggest rivals on and off the pitch are Hamburg, the other huge metropolis in northern Germany. Matches between the two are called the “Nordderby” (Northern Derby).
4. When previously ever-present Hamburg were relegated, Bremen became the club active for the most seasons in the Bundesliga. They lie second in the all-time points table.
5. The sound of a foghorn from the Weser greets each goal Werder score. Fans travel on the boat to the stadium.
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT BREMEN
1. After Hamburg on the Elbe, Werder on the Weser is Germany’s second largest port.
2. The UNESCO “Statue of Roland” holding the “Sword of Justice” in the Market Square is said to keep the city free and independent.
3. The October “Freimarkt”, which is nearly 1000 years old, is the largest festival in northern Germany.
4. The city is the home of the “Beck’s” brewery.
5. Legendary goalkeeper Bernhard Trautmann, who played an FA Cup Final with a broken neck, was born in Bremen.
OTHER GERMAN TEAMS
Arminia Bielefeld, Augsburg, Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Borussia MG, Eintracht Frankfurt, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Freiburg, Hertha Berlin, Hoffenheim, Koln, Leipzig, Mainz, Paderborn, Schalke, Stuttgart, Union Berlin, Werder Bremen, Wolfsburg