NICKNAME – Die Breisgauer (The People of Breisgau)
FOUNDED – 1904
LOCATED IN – Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Wurttemberg
STADIUM – Schwarzwald Stadion
CAPACITY – 24,000
PROMOTED – 2016
BEST BUNDESLIGA FINISH – 3rd (1994/1995)
BEST DFB POKAL RUN – SF (2012/2013)
BEST UC/EL FINISH – R32 (2001/2002)
RECORD GOALSCORER – Nils Petersen (94)
2019/2020 FINISH – 8th
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT SC FREIBURG
1. Bizarrely, just the head of a griffin adorns the club’s badge, with the lion part of the mythical creature invisible.
2. They were nicknamed the Breisgau-Brasilianer (The Breisgauer Brazilians) in the 1994/1995 season for their attractive style of play.
3. They have had just four managers since 1991. Current boss Christian Streich has been in charge since 2011.
4. With a backdrop of dense forest, the Schwarzwald (Black Forest) Stadium is fittingly named.
5. Germany head coach Joachim Low has recently been overtaken by Nils Petersen as the club’s leading scorer.
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT FREIBURG
1. It is the sunniest and warmest city in Germany.
2. Freiburg is considered the gateway to the Black Forest, with the Schlossberg that overlooks the old town a part of it.
3. The Freiburg Bachle are a peculiar form of gutter that help cool the city’s air. According to legend, if you fall in one you will marry someone from the city.
4. The Green Party is the strongest here; citizens are in love with both cycling and recycling.
5. Famous sons of the city include philosophers Max Weber and Martin Heidegger.
OTHER GERMAN TEAMS
Arminia Bielefeld, Augsburg, Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Borussia MG, Eintracht Frankfurt, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Freiburg, Hertha Berlin, Hoffenheim, Koln, Leipzig, Mainz, Paderborn, Schalke, Stuttgart, Union Berlin, Werder Bremen, Wolfsburg