NICKNAME – Die Nullfunf (The 05), Der Karnevalsverein (The Carnival Club)
FOUNDED – 1905
LOCATED IN – Mainz, Rhineland-Palatinate
STADIUM – Opel Arena
CAPACITY – 34,034
PROMOTED – 2009
BEST BUNDESLIGA FINISH – 5th (2010/2011)
BEST DFB POKAL RUN – QF (5 times)
BEST UC/EL FINISH – Group Stage (2016/2017)
RECORD GOALSCORER – Michael Thurk (64)
2019/2020 FINISH – 13th
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT 1 FSV MAINZ 05
1. It is nicknamed the “Carnival Club” after the city’s famous carnival, which is only rivalled by Dusseldorf’s and Cologne’s.
2. The music played after every goal they score is a carnival song called the “Narrhallamarsch” (Jester’s Heaven March).
3. They reached the Bundesliga for the first time under the stewardship of player turned coach, Jurgen Klopp, architect of the “gegenpressing” style.
4. They really lucked out with managers, as Thomas Tuchel (now PSG) then led them to their best ever finish of 5th in 2010/2011.
5. That year they equalled the best ever start to a Bundesliga season by winning their first seven games.
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT MAINZ
1. It dates back to Roman times; the Emperor Severus Alexander was assassinated here by his own soldiers.
2. Mainz is synonymous with Gutenberg, the inventor of the printing press that revolutionised the spread of information.
3. The Archbishop of Mainz was the Archbishop of the Holy Roman Empire. Only the Vatican and Mainz are Holy Sees.
4. The city includes a park of protected sand dunes, which play host to vegetation alien to the area.
5. Mainz lies in the very heart of Germany’s wine country.
OTHER GERMAN TEAMS
Arminia Bielefeld, Augsburg, Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Borussia MG, Eintracht Frankfurt, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Freiburg, Hertha Berlin, Hoffenheim, Koln, Leipzig, Mainz, Paderborn, Schalke, Stuttgart, Union Berlin, Werder Bremen, Wolfsburg